Ramblings from the Gryphon Rose

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Wow

Today was my 37th birthday. I kept meaning to plan something but kept forgetting. Fortunately, it’s a Friday, and that means a few of my good friends (including xochitl42 and qadgop) were coming over to game. feiran was over as well, since she’d been babysitting our daughter so my lovely wife could get some things done around the house, and said she’d stick around for food and dessert. And my wife was making me a Grasshopper Pie, which has been one of my favorite desserts since I was a kid. So I was looking forward to a nice evening with some close friends.

I got home around 6:30, after going to the store for a few things. qadgop showed up a few minutes later, followed in quick succession by xochitl42 and the rest of the Friday gaming group. My youngest sister called to wish me a happy birthday.

Then we got food—we were doing deli meats and cheeses and salad and chips and such for dinner, nice and easy for everyone to make their own.

Shortly after I sat down with my sandwich my middle sister called. While I was on the phone with her the doorbell rang and Mook went to get it. I was still on the phone, and turned around—to see my youngest sister! She had come all the way down from D.C. to surprise me!

That was a shock but a nice one. Then, maybe twenty minutes later, the doorbell rang again. It was our friend Kim, who claimed she was just stopping by to say hi. A little bit later our friend Amy showed up, as did feiran’s boyfriend, who I’d met at lunch a month or two ago. And then my aunt showed up as well.

And that was when my lovely wife revealed that this was, in fact, all planned. It was a surprise party. She’d apparently been planning it for months, and had completely fooled me! Our friend Raphy even called from Brazil and said he was sorry he couldn’t be there, so he knew about it! I was the only one who didn’t.

We all had food and cake and pie and lots of fun, and then I opened presents. I got many excellent books and DVDs, but easily the coolest present was the one from my lovely wife. She had compiled a scrapbook for me, with thoughts and memories and comments from many of my family and close friends. I was utterly amazed! I haven’t had a chance to read through it properly yet, but just seeing the pictures and the names is a real thrill.

She told me she wanted me to have a really nice birthday because I hadn’t really celebrated it the last few times. And she apologized for the fact that many of our friends didn’t show for the party, and that many she’d contacted hadn’t sent anything for the scrapbook. But I was so impressed, both by everything she’d done and by all those who did respond.

My wife rocks. This may have been my best birthday ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home