Ramblings from the Gryphon Rose

Monday, October 11, 2004

Somebody Name That Baby!

Well, this weekend was fun, but very long and more than a little sleep-deprived.
We had Adara's Baby-naming on Saturday, so a bunch of our relatives came up for it. We'd hoped to have it at our house, but haven't closed yet, let alone taken possession, so my Aunt Renee hosted instead, which was great of her. My dad and my two younger sisters came up, as did my younger cousin and his wife, Jen's dad, her cousin, and her aunt and uncle. We'd hoped to have more family, but several couldn't attend, and a few abandoned us at the last minute. Nonetheless, we had a good time, had lots of food, and Adara got her Hebrew name.
One thing I didn't get the chance to explain to Jen's family--mine knew about it already--was that Adara's Hebrew name was my mom's. We wanted to tie our little girl more closely to the grandmother she only got to meet twice, and this way a bit of my mother will live on in my daughter. I know Mom would have liked that. My sisters also made kugel (a noodle pudding, for those who've never had it) using my mom's recipe, so that one of her dishes was there on the table as well.
Our friend David, who did our wedding for us two years ago, performed the ceremony, and did a great job. We had a lot of fun, and got to see many of our relatives, including a few who traveled a good ways to be here. Jen and I were out there Friday to set up, and Sunday just to hang out, as well, so it was all a lot of fun, but we didn't sleep much, what with shuttling back and forth. Adara had a great time with her relatives, but she was getting a little cranky by last night from the lack of sleep. She'd also had a doctor's appointment on Friday (the one-year checkup, where the doctor pronounced her to be in excellent health and doing great), which had included two shots, so she was a little sore Friday night.
Jen and I had decided in advance that we were only going to have family at the event. That was mainly because we knew the house couldn't hold all of our friends, and we didn't want to have to pick and choose among them, plus the family we expected to attend would be a large group all on their own. But several of our friends expressed interest in attending, and extended congratulations, and we appreciate that.

1 Comments:

  • At 10/12/2004 7:16 AM, Blogger Gryphon Rose said…

    Matt and Greg -

    Hi, guys! Thanks for reading. Matt, a Hebrew name isn't necessarily secret. Adara's is Esther Leah. Greg, sorry I haven't been in contact--that's part of why I started this blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home