Ramblings from the Gryphon Rose

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Seeing double?

It’s been a long weekend, and mostly a good one, but strange.

Friday night the game group came over as usual. That was fun. We played, and ate (the lovely wife had made chili the night before and we had some left—yum!), and hung out. Got to bed around 2am or so, I think.

My middle sister (we’ll call her MS) came to visit the next morning. She and my youngest sister (who we’ll call YS from here on out) were going to Paris on vacation (along with YS’s friend), but wound up taking different flights, so MS got one from Florida up to here in the morning and then another from JFK to Paris that night. Jendaby was off to hang out with friends for lunch, so we all went to LaGuardia, picked up MS (whose plane was half an hour late), and then drove Jendaby out to Weehawken—there was an accident on the highway that seriously slowed us down but we still got her there on time.

Then we drove back home, put my son in his stroller, and walked to downtown Woodside (with my daughter helping to push her little brother in his stroller) to get lunch and pick up a few last-minute items for MS’s flight.

Ah, but now things got interesting. YS and her friend were supposed to leave D.C. at 3pm. But they didn’t—not because they missed anything but because their plane didn’t take off. Nor did it go at 4. Or 5. They had to catch a 6:30 flight from Newark, and it was starting to look like that wasn’t going to happen. MS was panicking, since she doesn’t speak French or know anybody over there (they were all going to stay with YS’s friend who lives there). I drove her to JFK (the kids were in back), pointing out that if nothing else YS and her friend would catch the flight the next night and meet up with her a day late.

Got MS to the airport on time for her flight and drove home—jendaby had gotten home in the meantime and helped me carry the two now-sleeping children inside. Then I got a call from YS—they were in Newark and it looked like they were stuck until tomorrow. Could they crash with us? Of course, I said. But they called back a little later—the airline had gotten them a hotel room and they were too tired to trek all the way out from Newark. Instead they decided to come see us the next day (Sunday).

Also that night, the curse of Daylight Savings struck. I was up writing and, when finishing up, glanced at the clock and thought, “Oh, it’s only 1:30—that’s not so bad.” Until I passed the bedroom and realized my error. Apparently the computer’s clock doesn’t reset until it restarts. Yep, it was 2:30 instead.

Today (Sunday) MS and her friend came out. They didn’t get to us until after 1pm, though—the curse of Daylight Savings again, and having to make their way here from Newark. I picked up some lunch beforehand (bagels, cheese and meats, cannoli), we ate and hung out for a while, and then my daughter and I drove them to Newark Airport. Which would have been fine if not for the logjam getting into Lincoln Tunnel. We got there on time, though, and they got to their gate without a problem. Then I headed back and hit more ugly traffic—we had left home around 4pm, and I didn’t get home until 7. Ugh.

After that, not too much. Ate some dinner, washed up, gave my daughter a bath, put her to bed, did a little writing, fell asleep at the computer, woke up and wrote a little more, and now I’m getting ready to sign off and sleep myself. I’ve been falling asleep at the computer more often lately, and today a possible reason occurred to me—I’ve switched back to decaf iced tea instead of the caffeinated version. Interesting. I guess caffeine does still affect me after all.

It was great to see both my sisters this weekend, and unexpected. My daughter knew MS was coming Saturday but seeing YS Sunday was a complete surprise and she was thrilled. I did get some work done, though not as much as I’d have liked. I walked a bit and drove a whole lot more. And tomorrow it’s back to work.


Post a Comment

<< Home